Historic Buildings Consultant

19th Century Lodge, Suffolk

19th Century Lodge, Suffolk

19th Century Lodge, Suffolk

This Grade II-listed lodge, located on the outskirts of Newmarket, originally formed part of the Cheveley Park Estate, an ancient centre of horse-breeding and the current site of Cheveley Park Stud. On purchasing the site and 17th century house in 1892, Colonel Harry McCalmont (1861-1902) demolished and rebuilt the mansion and created Centre Drive as a new entrance from Newmarket. A matching pair of lodges were constructed either side of this drive and might have been designed by the architect R. W. Edis (1839-1927), who was responsible for the design of the new mansion. Sadly, the mansion itself barely lasted a generation and was demolished in 1925.

We were commissioned to undertake a full building survey of the property, which was prepared with a costed schedule of recommendations.